Thursday, May 15, 2008

Box O' Grub

Well, we joined a local CSA Farm (Community Supported Agriculture).
I've been looking into this for a while. There are a few resources that are good. One is the slow food movement.

Another resource in the Puget Sound area is Eat Local Now. They are in the forefront of the movement here in Washington. It's pretty basic, you buy a "share" of a local farm, and they give you fresh, local food. Most of them are veggies, but there are also cheese and meat CSA's too.

I picked Full Circle Farm. I liked that you can do it all online, you can opt out when you want, and that they have flexibility on the frequency. I picked every other week for two people for $29.

I picked up my first box from Full Circle last night. Here's what we got:


Now it's time to make my first rhubarb/strawberry pie.
I have to admit, that I've never been much of a rhubarb fan. I found a recipe online for a rhubarb strawberry pie. So I thought I'd give it a try.

DSC01241

Here's the berries and barb cut up.

DSC01243

I used the recipe from my baking class at Renton Tech I took last year for the dough.

DSC01245

Here it is ready to go in the oven.

DSC01246

The edges of the crust got away from me. I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but I wasn't going to let that stop me. I also learned to put something under the pie pan to catch the overflow. Didn't really know about that - now I've got to figure out how to clean molten pie filling off the bottom of the oven. Good time.

DSC01248

It was really good with a nice big glass of milk while I watched two episodes of the Wire last night.



See you next time