Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sweeney's Mole & Gopher Repellent: Product Review

Me vs. the Moles - Part 2

[To see my review of Talpirid Mole Bait - click here.]

So I was at Lowes, like I spend most of my Saturday afternoons, and I saw a bunch of anti-mole products. I picked up this one - it was $9 and I thought I'd give it a try.
Click here for their website.

The basic theory is that you sprinkle it on your lawn over 5 days, water it, and it makes the soil taste and smell bad to the moles.

On the back of the bag, it says to sprinkle it in a five foot band, then wait a day, then do five more feet, then repeat over five days. Seemed simple enough.

I do like the shaker bag. You just rip open the top at the perforation, and grab those handles and just shake as you walk.

We've got 10 acres, but I though this might be a good solution for our front and back yard. I started at the corner of the house and shook the bag around to the other side of the house. One bag got me about a two foot wide band around the house and part of the front yard. I have to say that I was a bit disappointed with the amount of coverage you get from one bag. At that rate, I'd need about 4-6 bags a day just to cover the front yard.

So merely on price alone, I have to give Sweeney's Mole & Gopher Repellent just 2 Stars. It would be about $50-$60 a day. I'm sorry, but $300 seems steep just to cover the front yard, and probably another $300 - $500 to do the back.

No thanks.

See you next time.
~ron