Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Update on the Platnium Survey...

So, I admit I was a big fat whiner about the cost of a survey in my previous post. And now I've got a few more bids in.
It's gone from over $4000 to $2500, and then I got a bid today for $1500.

I still think that's a bit steep, but I'm warming up to the idea. I have a very good friend Michael who's a big time architect, and he sent me a great note on my attitude:







"Surveys cost a lot because they are worth it. They are a legal document that specifically describes your property. It takes 2 or 3 guys several hours to walk around almost 10 acres, set up stakes, scope the sight lines, draw the map, write a property description, etc. $150/hr here in Cali is cheap. Yeah it sounds expensive, but without it, you are just guessing. So if it's too expensive, just guess. Out in the country a survey might not be a critical part of your relationship with your neighbors because you have lots of open space and buffer between properties that is uncontested. But in an urban area, or if you want to put a building right on the setback, you can't afford NOT to know exactly where to put it. A fence...whatever."

He's probably right, but I still wish I could make $150/hr doing something.

Well, I've got a few more phone calls out, but I may just have to bite the bullet and go with $1500 to find out where I can put my fence.... "sigh."

I'll keep you posted on the updates.

~Rancher Ron

If you like my blog, please click on an Ad that interests you. Thanks.